Saturday, May 10, 2008

We might get " Weather Rage"

It is a rather chilly day here on this Saturday, and the outlook is not nice . The weather forecasts ....
"From Saturday Afternoon to Sunday Morning we expect 5-10 cm of snow and 25-30 mm of rain."
Not the words we like to hear.
Looks like tomorrow will be the day that gets devoted to some indoor transplanting.
The tomatoes need some attention. There are also a lot of little Four O'Clock seedlings that I hope will be OK in their cell packs. This is the first time I have grown them. It seemed every seed sprouted. They were a kind gift from a lady in Ottawa who frequents the Canadian Gardening Forum.
I have a bunch of Impatiens, but think they may need a few more days until they are ready for transplant. I try not to have them ready too soon, since our cool late May weather never lets them see the outdoors until the first week of June.
I think the poor indoor plants may have fallen prey to slight neglect in the last week or so.
We have had a busy few days getting plant together for our Plant Sale next weekend. I expect we are about 75% done, but each miserable day doesn't help the process.
The only positive thing about coolness is that the spring bulbs last a bit longer. We currently have Scilla siberica having their spring romp....they spend as much time out of bed as "in bed". They populate one end of the "gulley" bed area, and Puschkinia populate the other, plus wander down over the bank.
The Star Magnolias are just bursting....
There are loads of narcissus, and the types seem to change daily. This is 'Orangery'.
This is a little species tulip 'Persian Pearl', I think.
I especially enjoy these clumps of Praestans unicum....good bright spots.
Corydalis nobilis is a favourite spring plant. These , I have had for many years. They moved with me almost ten years ago. They give us a few seedling here and there each year.
I haven't tried to purposely get seed. Perhaps I am too busy with other things to notice seed on the early bloomers.
We were quite intrigued to see some Barred Owls in the front yard yesterday. We hear them "hooting" all the time, but rarely see them. There were two that flew into the yard, and perched on the willow tree. One had left before I had presence of mind to try a pic. We were inside, and 150 Ft. away. Of course, the Owl had his head turned.

No comments: